Has the body positivity movement gone too far?

The body positivity movement is a social movement focused on empowering individuals regardless of their physical weight or size, while also challenging the ways in which society presents and views the physical body. Since its emergence in 2012, a number of magazines and companies have incorporated efforts to be more body positive in their publications and marketing efforts, including the use of plus-sized models and the stopping of some digital retouching on photos in magazines. But, it has also garnered some backlash as some have expressed claims that it is giving people an excuse to neglect their health.

There have definitely been people who take it too far in my opinion. The core message of the body positivity movement, that we should accept ourselves as we are is important. However, that shouldn’t be an excuse to ignore the health risks of obesity and extreme weight gain. If people “love their bodies”, which is what this movement promotes, they should love themselves enough to want to maintain good health. Body positivity should be accepting our bodies where they are at, but still continuously striving to be healthier. People should not hate themselves for what their bodies look like, however, they should also not just accept detrimental health conditions either.

1 Like

I agree. Loving ourselves is very important and I believe that the body positivity movement does a great job of advocating for that. But that shouldn’t stop us from bettering ourselves or pushing for better health. At the end of the day, being healthy is loving your body enough to care for it.

@arunc_211 Amen! I couldn’t have said it any better. For lot of such good intended initiatives, there will always be those that’ll find something wrong with it. Like the saying goes “no good deed goes unpunished”.