Should Sha’Carri Richardson have been disqualified from the Olympics for testing positive for marijuana use?

Sha’Carri Richardson is a track runner from the United States who was set to compete in the coming Olympics. She was projected to be a serious contender for gold in the 100m at Tokyo. That all changed when Richardson tested positive for THC, the main component found in marijuana. Because of this, she has been disqualified from running the 100m which has caused outrage as marijuana is legal in many countries around the world now. Should she have been disqualified?

@amithchintalapati - If the Olympics rules and regulations state that THC positive test is disqualifying, then yes it is ok for her to be disqualified. If THC gives one athlete an advantage over another, then it has to be a disqualifying factor. There are reasons why a person is not legally allowed to drive and perform other normal activities while under the influence of marujana. For athletes who need to use marujana for medical purposes the Olympics should provide a time frame of how many hours/days before a competition they are not allowed to test positive for THC so they can still have a chance to participate.

@Unity While THC is not allowed according to Olympic rules, those rules are outdated and there is a strong argument for those rules to be changed. If anything, THC is a performance diminisher and falls into pretty much the same category as alcohol. While it is illegal to drive while under the influence of alcohol, that isn’t reason enough for it to be banned from the Olympics. There isn’t any logical reason that this rule should still stand. If a rule is illogical, it shouldn’t be blindly followed. Instead, a committee should re-examine the rule and make the changes that are necessary.

I think that Sha’Carri Richardson should have been disqualified solely based on the rules of the Olympic Games prohibiting THC. I don’t think that the administration should make exceptions for an athlete to bypass the rules because then they would have to make that exception for all other athletes. However, I do think that the rules concerning marijuana use should be abolished or at the very least relaxed and regulated because THC does not give an athlete an unfair advantage over other athletes. The Olympics can be very stressful for athletes and if marijuana is a way to cope with that stress, I think athletes should not be penalized or eliminated for marijuana use.

1 Like

I agree with @Supriyo that the rules concerning marijuana should be relaxed or abolished, as THC is not in any way a performance enhancing drug. I also agree that, since the rules did state that THC was prohibited, Sha’Carri Richardson should have been disqualified. However, these rules do not seem to be enforced at a consistent level around the Olympics. Megan Rapinoe recently spoke out about her use of CBD as part of her regular training regiment for the Olympics, however she was allowed to compete without any issues. If such rules are in place, they should be enforced at a consistent level. However, the rules around THC, a non-performance enhancing drug, should be relaxed, especially considering the legality of it in various states around the United States, which is where Sha’Carri Richardson was found to be using it.